The Copperhead snake was lurking behind the stairs of Haley McCormack’s home when her dog, Arlo, leapt into action to save her. And, what McCormack didn’t know was that the snake was venomous. Arlo leaped toward the snake as I gave chase.
As a result, Arlo was bitten three to four times in the face, but was able to kill the snake and save his human. In addition to anti-venom, pain medication, and CBD oil, Cormack brought Arlo to BluePearl Pet Hospital in Nashville. His neck, face, and eye were all swollen shut, but he is recovering thankfully, and is expected to fully recover.
“To think how much loyalty, and love he had for me, to risk his own life for mine, it’s really special,” McCormack told WTVF. “We’re both lucky to have each other for sure.”
The animal hospital says that they’ve already treated more than a dozen cases of snake bites this summer alone in their area. Arlo was not the only dog in the hospital that day suffering from a snake bite.
Cormack hopes Arlo’s story will raise awareness about the dangers of snakes, not just to humans but also to pets. Watch the video below for more details: