ilovemydogsomuch reports that German Shorthaired Pointer Toad stumbled found a rattlesnake while playing outside close to his Kuna, Idaho home.
He was seized by the rattlesnake, which bit the poor dog five times.
Fritz Brownell, the dog’s owner, told KTVB, “As I approached him, I saw a snake cartwheeling in the air, and when I came up to him, I kept him between me and the snake. When I attempted to grab him, huge mistake, there were many snakes.”
Although Toad’s owners hurried him to the doctor, the poison had already started to work and he started bleeding from his lips and gums.
His bite marks were visible on both sides of his face, as well as several times on his front left leg, when the veterinarians promptly inspected him. He swelled up right away, but the veterinarians gave him some anti-venom.
His owners were worried he wouldn’t survive, but fortunately he did.
As Toad recovers, his owners are now cautioning other pet owners to be cautious of rattlesnakes in their environs.
Keep your dogs on a leash while taking them for walks in the desert or foothills, advises Idaho Fish and Game.