A resident in Gatineau, Canada, was shocked to discover a kitten coated in black goo in her yard. It was later discovered that the cat and her two siblings had been purposely coated with tar. A kitten found in considerably worse condition, was named Ashley. Luckily, following the rescue, Ashley’s life was saved by the local community.
Sandy Lawson of Adopt Me Cat Rescue was among those who helped save the kittens. “Someone came onto his property to put tar on it,” Sandy adds. Probably because he was aware of the presence of cats and was not a fan.”
Ashley, the most severely injured of the three kittens, was rushed to the veterinarian for treatment. If she survives, she will have a lengthy recovery period.
“She was tarred and her eyes were closed,” Lawson continues. “She was completely immobile. “She didn’t appear to eat much either.”
“The community rallied around this kid.”
Without the help of strangers, Ashley’s 24-hour stay in the intensive care unit would have been completely out of reach. This kitten has a shot of survival thanks to people like Richard and others who donated.
However, because the resin is toxic to cats, we don’t know what the long-term implications will be. “Every three hours, I have to wash off the tar,” Richard says. “She was a major issue to get rid of; it was a big task.”
The two other kittens, who were not as severely injured, have already been adopted. Ashley is still in the care of Janice Richard and will be available for adoption once she has recovered.